Thursday, November 4, 2010

Scars

By Amy

I've been feeling bad about myself lately. Maybe it's the five pounds I gained over the summer. Or my pasty, dry skin. Or....you get the point. I was blog hopping and I found this.


http://www.thescarproject.org/home.html (viewer discretion is advised....i'm not joking)


This photographer takes pictures of women who are breast cancer survivors under the age of 40. The pictures are....horrifying and beautiful all at the same time. And I thought...at least I am whole. But the thing is, these women are whole too. Boobs don't make you a woman. If that was the case some of us would be 250% woman and others would be 15% woman. These women show a confindence that I don't have and wish I did. I wonder if they had it before they got breast cancer. The look on their faces are so... peaceful. And the pregnant women! They got me. They are saying, "look what I have been through and look what my body still can do!" I know these women are not unique either. I know a breast cancer surviver who was under the age of 40 when diagnosed. She is strong and she is beautiful. Why can't I give my body the respect it deserves? It shouldn't have to take something as hard and devastating as breast cancer to change the way you think about yourself. Anyway, I just thought I would share this.

I promise a more cheery blog over the weekend!

1 comment:

  1. We all know you are so beautiful! It seems we never see ourselves as others see us.

    ReplyDelete