Saturday, February 26, 2011

The Apron

by Ang

About a month ago, I got a package from my mom and dad. I wasn't expecting anything and I had to go to the post office and sign for it. I was SO EXCITED when I opened it!

It was an apron.
But not just any apron.
This apron was my Great Grandmother's. It was made by her mother (my Great Great Grandmother) over 85 years ago. It was one of the few things that my Great Grandmother brought with her on the boat from Germany to America in 1926.
It's in really good shape for being so old. I knew I wanted to display it and not just stick it in a drawer or a box. So I bought a shadow box.

I knew I wouldn't be able to display the apron in it's entirety (they don't make shadow boxes that big!). So I folded it a few times until I finally found a way to display it so that it showed off the beautiful embroidery.

Then I lightly ironed it. I didn't iron it completely - I was scared. It's really delicate! So I did my best, and then secured it with four small stick pins:Then I slid it into the shadow box:


And hung it in the dining room.

I love it so much. I love that it has so much history. I love that it was so important to my Great Grandma that she brought it with her to America. I think of all of my Grandmothers when I look at it. It is priceless to me!

No comments:

Post a Comment