Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Colorado Springs

by Ang
This week I am busy taking care of my nephews. They’re good boys though and we’re having fun! Here’s a look at my trip to Colorado Springs this past weekend. It was so much fun and went WAY too fast (as most trips do).

We went to Garden of the Gods, which is a park with very unusual and steep rock formations. There’s about a mile and a half of paved trail through the park that we walked on. It was a beautiful, not-too-cold sunny day.

A little history (from Wikipedia, because they can explain it much better than I can):
The outstanding geologic features of the park are the ancient sedimentary beds of red, blue, purple, and white sandstones, conglomerates and limestone that were deposited horizontally, but have now been tilted vertically and faulted by the immense mountain building forces caused by the uplift of the Pikes Peak massif. Evidence of past ages; ancient seas, eroded remains of ancestral mountain ranges, alluvial fans, sandy beaches and great sand dune fields can be read in the rocks. The name Colorado is said to come from the color of the sandstone. There are many fossils to be seen: marine forms, plant fossils, and some dinosaur fossils.
The hogbacks, so named because they resemble the backs and spines of a pig, are ridges of sandstone whose layers are tilted. Instead of lying horizontally, some layers are even vertically oriented. Each hogback can range up to several hundred feet long, and the tallest (called North Gateway Rock) rises to a height of 320 feet (98 m) tall. A notable rock feature on this hogback, the Kissing Camels, appears to be two very large camels sitting face to face with their lips touching.
So there you have it. It’s a really beautiful place:


This is the look I get every time I ask him to smile:
I miss him.

Garden of the Gods was really the only 'touristy' thing we did. The rest of the time we spent relaxing and hanging out with friends. It was nice!

I was sad at the airport, so I bought a book to distract myself:

I wanted to brush up on my Civil War history. Yes, I am a nerd.

No comments:

Post a Comment