Friday, December 24, 2010

Fantasy Football

by Ang

For the past two years, my husband has been in a fantasy football league with a group of his friends. This year, they needed a 12th person. I knew NOTHING about fantasy football and frankly the whole thing completely confused me. I like football, but fantasy football is a whole new ball game (ha ha, get it?).

So I reluctantly said I would be their 12th person if they couldn’t find anyone else.

I did some online research but was still confused about how it worked. So my husband sat down with me and gave me a fantasy football lesson and some drafting strategies. This helped, but I still needed lots of help at the draft. Before each of my picks, I would ask him what he thought of my selection. The draft was then over and I had a pretty good team! So then came game one. I started who I thought would do the best based on projected points, who they were playing, etc. And then I would start them, but still have my husband check to make sure everything looked good. And I won game one! This was fun! And then I won game two. And three. I didn’t lose until game 4. I also lost games 8, 11 and 13.

I still asked my husband for advice, but towards the end (the past few games) I’ve done it on my own and started who I thought was the best choice.

I made the playoffs. Along with three other people (including my husband). There’s only one playoff game, and I was playing my husband.

I won.

Which means…..I made it to the Superbowl! The guy I’m playing has a good team…but he’s had a couple of bad games. I think the only way I’ll be able to beat him is if he has a bad game. But it’s possible! The Superbowl for fantasy football leagues is this week. I will know by Monday night if I won or lost.

So I think (win or lose) that my first year doing fantasy football was a success. I’m still undecided if I’ll do it next year or not, just because it is very time consuming and even a little addicting. But we’ll see how I feel about it then.

But this year…it’s been fun. And even if I lose the Superbowl, coming in 2nd place AND being the only girl in the league is pretty darn good I think.

And if I win, I’d like to thank my husband for helping me. And Reshard Mendenhall, Wes Welker, Ahmad Bradshaw, Steven Jackson, Roddy White, Vincent Jackson, Eli Manning, and the Pittsburgh Steelers defense (my key players). It’s been fun boys!

(my pink football avatar and my team slogan 'You have just been beat by a girl!')

3 comments:

  1. Too funny! I played in a league with a bunch of Dave's friend this year too and I'm in the championship game and it's looking like I'm gonna win it all. Haha...the girls are winning 'em all this year. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good for you! Sadly, I'm going to lose. But that's okay - it's been fun!

    Ang

    ReplyDelete