Monday, July 6, 2009

Reusing, Reorganizing, Rearranging

by Ang

I recently gave away some of my living room furniture. I had it for a LONG time and I knew someone else would get much better use of it and appreciate it more than I did. I was glad to do it! But I started looking at my living room that was minus one couch and one coffee table and it was looking a tad bare. So off to the Goodwill I went. I only wanted to spend $20 and I wasn't entirely sure what I was even looking for. Just a little something to fill the space.

I found this:


A nice 'vintage' chocolate brown chair. It was in really good shape too. So I brought it home.

I tried a few different arrangements with my current love seat and the 'new' chair and my other small pieces of furniture, but what I really wanted was a nice and cozy reading corner. So that's what I made!

I read ALL the time and all of my 'to be read' books were all over the place, so I pulled the metal bookshelf from my bedroom and filled it up.




The bottom two shelves are 'to be read' and the books on the top shelf are what I'm currently reading. Yes, there's six of them. I never know what I'll be in the mood for, so I always have more than one going.


I also wanted a place for 'to be read' magazines, so I put them on the bottom shelf of my sofa table:


Along with my Paris box and my Costa Rica box (that holds bookmarks!).

I wanted to somehow fit my personal study materials over there too, but I just ran out of room. So I used the empty shelf on the bookshelf by my desk and put them on there. Which makes sense since I do all my personal study at my desk.




Eventually I want to get a new sofa and chair, a different pillow for the chair, a rug, etc., but until then, this will work just fine!


2 comments:

  1. love your reading corner, you just need a footstool and a beverage! I too have more than one book going at the same time. Those 14 day library books make that dangerous though, i like to think of it as a book rental fee rather than fines (so harsh).....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh I know, the 14 day 'rentals' are hard! All of the books on that shelf I own, and most of them I got from paperbackswap.com. It is the best site! You swap books and just pay for postage. The books are yours to keep if you want, that's the beauty of the system.

    ReplyDelete