Wednesday, May 20, 2009

I've Got Three Months

By Amy

When my 13 year old started junior high last year I expected the worst. Junoir High was the worst years of my life. I transformed into a mouthy, sullen, emotional and insecure teenager. So I braced myself when he made the switch from elementary school to big, bad middle school. And guess what? Nothing happened. He is still the same good kid that left sixth grade. Taller maybe, and a little more moody, but basically the same.

When my kindergardener made the transition into first grade I thought nothing of it. I should have. Take a look at the sweet self portrait he made of himself at the beginnning of the school year. The date on the paper is August 19th. Look at my sweet boy! Cute hair nice, colorful clothes. I am such a proud mama!


Yesterday he brought home another self portrait dated May 19th. Nine months later.




Oh dear. What happened to the color? What's with all the black? And the hat that's sideways, and the..... is that CHAINS? Gulp.





And look at those arms. I do believe he drew some muscles on them. And there seem to be something around his wrist and neck. Oh boy. I guess I have three months to de-program the little guy. Make him sweet and colorful and innocent again. So he's not the same as when he entered first grade. I still love him though. Chains and all. (:









No comments:

Post a Comment