Friday, August 27, 2010

Dad

by Ang


My dad and I have always been close. When I started writing this post, I was trying to think of some of my earliest memories of me and my dad. I remember the first trip we took to California. And I remembered my dad taking me out into the water. I loved it. I had a red and blue plastic boat. Here we are!:

I obviously loved my dad when I was a child, but I love him even more as an adult. He is such a strong person. He’s endured. He is humble. Generous. And SMART. I always said that if I were ever to be on ‘Who Wants to Be a Millionaire’, I would use my dad as a lifeline. He just seems to remember a lot of useful information (he and my husband are like walking encyclopedias).

My dad took us on family vacations every year. Usually we went to Kansas City or Arkansas to see family. Of course there were the ‘bigger’ trips – California, New York, Colorado, etc. One year just him and I went to Colorado. We went to a wedding. It was so much fun. We got a lot of bonding time in. Family vacation was something we could always count on. Usually every year in August we went. It was the highlight of the summer and we had lots of laughs in the car along the way (remember the cobra?). He taught me how to drive. He grabbed the wheel when I almost hit a tree. He was patient (and brave) with me, even when my mom was laying down in the backseat because she was so scared.

I value my dad’s opinion. I am never afraid to ask him what he thinks. He is balanced and fair.

I love how much he loves my mom. My mom will tell me little sweet things that he does and he is constantly surprising her with concert tickets, gifts, etc. He treats her like a queen (and that’s how it should be).

Dad has always loved school and reading. And the History Channel. And he has tons of books! I love looking at all of his books. Every time I’m in a bookstore I see at least 10 things that Dad would love. He is an expert on the Vietnam War. He loves math and science and is extremely knowledgeable on both subjects. It’s because of him that I love reading non-fiction. I wasn’t always that way, but the older I get, the more non-fiction I read.

It’s because of him that Lonesome Dove is one of my favorite movies. I watched it with him for the first time and have loved it ever since. He got my nephews to watch (and love) Big Jake, with John Wayne. He is an excellent Grandpa. He is THERE. He loves my nephews and my niece and you can tell. He has been there for me too, just like mom has. He would help me with anything if I asked, and would do so willingly with a smile and his wonderful sense of humor. He and my brother packed up all of my stuff in the van when I moved to New Mexico, trudging up and down the stairs of my apartment (while mom and I conveniently made excuses to stay inside and not help.). I couldn’t have done without his help throughout the years.

He is the type of person who would do anything for anyone, especially his family. He loves us, and we can count on him. That’s a very good feeling. I can’t wait to see you in October Pops!!!

Next up: My sissy!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment