Saturday, August 14, 2010

Mom

by Ang

This is my second ‘family’ post.

I have three best friends in my life. My husband, my sister and my mom. My mom and I have always been close. Sure, we had our ups and downs when I was a teenager. I went through the typical rebellious teenager stage and I gave my mom some of her gray hair. I still apologize to her for that!

But even as a teenager, I would still tell her everything. She would wait up for me when I was out and about with my friends (boys included) and I would tell her all about the evening.

So we’ve always been close. I didn’t start Kindergarten until I was six, because I wasn’t emotionally ready. Meaning, I was still too attached to my mom to start school. But at 6, I was ready. I remember mom coming in to help with the class every now and then (when we had art centers). And I remember her going on field trips when she could. It was always so cool to have your mom there as one of the group leaders! I don’t know if the other kids felt that way, but I sure did.

She was there for every school program. Every teachers conference. She made sure our homework was done and made sure we kept our grades up. She read to us every night.

When my sister and I got an early morning paper route so we could make our own money, mom is the one that got up before the sun rose to drive us in the cold winters. And she’s the one that took us collecting in the evenings.

She let us have sleepovers. She took us to the pool in the summer. Our summers were always fun. Mom seemed to always have the perfect balance of freedom & strictness. She let us ride our bikes on our own on the bike trails (before they were riddled with creepy people). We had a generous curfew, BUT it had to be adhered to. No excuses.

She hardly even got mad at me when I was 17 or 18 and I asked if we could get a cat and she said ‘maybe’, so my friend and I took that as a yes and drove to the humane society to get one and brought her home. She started off as my cat, but the cat was just drawn to my mom, and she is STILL mom’s cat.

She was a great mom then, but I’ve loved being her daughter even more as an adult. I can fully appreciate now (even without having kids of my own) everything that she did for us. When you’re a kid, you just don’t appreciate those things. As an adult, she has seen me through some rough times. She was always the first one there when I was having a problem. She has bailed me out on more than one occasion. I remember a few years ago when I had to move rather quickly, and mom made it happen. I couldn’t have done it without her. She is a rock, and even though I am married now, I will always need her. Nobody can replace your mom!

We have had so much fun together. We’ve taken trips together. One trip we took was to Missouri/Arkansas to see my Grandpa and Aunt, and I remember laughing so hard with mom (the result of doing a crossword puzzle together late at night when we were tired) that my abs were actually sore the next day.

I love this photo. I love it because in it I look like my niece, but also because it’s me and my mom. I look so relaxed and comfortable in my mom’s arms. And my mom is beautiful.
I miss her like crazy and I’m counting down the days until they visit us in October!

Next Up: Grandma

No comments:

Post a Comment