Sunday, August 22, 2010

Grandma

by Ang

My Grandma is one of the few genuinely kind people that I know. I have VERY early memories of her. When my brother was a baby, my sister and I would spend the occasional weekend with her. We would either go to their house in a small town about an hour from where we lived, or we would go to their city town home. It didn’t matter where we were…it was fun. Most of my childhood memories though came from the house in the small town. Usually we would get there and the first thing we would do is go to the grocery store. Grandma would let my sister and I each pick out our favorite box of cereal. The sugary stuff that we never got at home, of course. So we would go down the cereal aisle and look at whatever toy was featured inside the box and usually go with the coolest toy. Then when we would get home, Grandma would get a giant bowl, dump out all the cereal so we could fish out the toy then put all the cereal back in the box. To a 5-year-old, that is just plain fun.

She also let Amy and I play house in her house. She gave us free reign of the Tupperware drawer. In the basement of their house (which was the least scary basement I’ve ever been in), they had another small kitchen and some cabinets. So we played house down there. It was so much fun.

She also had this cool organ that was in one of the spare bedrooms. She had all kinds of sheet music that had numbers that correlated to the digits of your fingers. So when you played, it sounded pretty good (especially when you’re 5!).

At night we would take a bath and smell like ivory soap. I love Ivory soap, just for the smell. I recently bought a bar of Ivory just to keep in my cabinet. Whenever I miss my Grandma, I take a whiff. It reminds me of her. Then we would brush our teeth with her cinnamon Colgate toothpaste and be tucked in to bed.
And then when my Grandparents moved to the city for good, the fun continued. They managed some apartments and so we got to use the pool whenever we wanted. My brother had a big raft that we would put in the middle of the pool and jump onto. I remember spending many summer evenings over there with the whole family. They were also within bike-riding distance of our house, which made it very convenient.

I think my Grandma is responsible for our whole family’s love of the Huskers. When we were kids, they had season tickets, so I remember going to games at a very young age. When we didn’t make it to the games, we always watched on TV (and still do!). It was so much fun.
She took me to California with her one time to see my aunt and uncle. It was a very memorable trip for me, and I know it was because I was with my beloved Grandma!


She helped me with a major garage sale one time, and we had so much fun. We laughed a LOT. And sold a lot too! She is always helpful and so nice to spend time with.

Grandma has always been a big part of my life. She is so sweet. She says the funiest things also, without trying to be funny. We all love being around her. I miss her so much, and I can’t wait to see her in October too!

Next Up: Dad

No comments:

Post a Comment