Wednesday, February 18, 2009

French and Piano

By Amy




I started taking piano lessons when I was 11. Mrs C was my first teacher. She was your typical old piano teacher, cranky and a little smelly. She made me play hymns and classics. She was so bad that my sister only lasted a few lessons. When we heard of another teacher that was closer to us I jumped at the chance to take lessons from her. She was much younger and let me play what I wanted to play. I took a total of 7 years. I was pretty good. Then I got married, had kids and my piano collected dust. I lost it. Not all of it but most of it. When my youngest expressed interest in learning the piano I was excited.
Maybe I could reteach myself through what he is learning. So far I remember alot of it. But he is still in his first book. For some reason piano reminds me of learning French again. In a previous post I mentioned all the tools I had to relearn it all. And how after four years of French I couldn't remember anything except for Bonjour.
(This book has been extremely helpful)
It makes me feel sad that after all the years I took piano that I can only play the same songs my first grader can. It seems like such a waste of time and money. And talent. Not that I would give up anything to be able to play again. I'm glad my boy likes it. It's so cute to see him pluck at the keys.
(He wanted to put all his hands on the keys when I took his picture so it would "look like I'm playing something really hard.")
I didn't mention before that I sort of bribed him to take lessons. He really really wanted to take guitar lessons. But we don't have a guitar so I told him that if he takes piano lessons first and learns it well then I will get him guitar lessons.
(I love how he sits on his feet.)
He asks me every week when he can start guitar. He wants to be a rockstar. Sigh.

No comments:

Post a Comment