Sunday, February 1, 2009

French 101

by Amy



I have always been interested in the French language. In eighth grade I took my first French class. Madame Rulie taught me the alphabet, numbers and how to meet and greet. In high school I took three more years. Unfortunately, that was 15 years ago. All I remember now was what I learned in eighth grade....the bare minimum. When we decided to go to France I thought this would be a great time to brush up on my French and learn all that I had forgotten. I have found that my mind isn't as 'sponge-like' as it used to be. In fact, I think it is down-right soggy. Everything just spills out of it. I started with the basics. Numbers, introductions and simple questions and phrases. I felt pretty confident with my knowledge and thought, Hey! I can do this! But then I started to learn the nitty gritty...basic French grammer. Time to pull the big dog out.

This book has actually been very helpful in breaking down sentences, learning gender of the nouns and how to use regular and irregular verbs. It's really hard and it seems like the more I try to learn the dumber I feel. As seen in following posts, I have yet to master English. Why in the world am I trying to learn another language? To make matters worse, the French hate it when you butcher their language. So in Paris I may just smile and nod a lot. I'm not giving up though. It's good for my brain. And if some dirty French guy asks, "vous etes celibataire?" at least I will know how to respond. "Non! Je suis epouse!"

No comments:

Post a Comment