Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Packing

by Ang

It may seem a bit early to think about packing, but I’m starting to – which clothes I want to take and what I need to buy (if anything).

Packing will be a HUGE challenge for me. I am NOT a light packer. Even though we will have a washer and dryer in our apartment, I’m sure I will pack way more than I actually need. I like to have choices!

So in preparation, I’ve been looking at different websites that have international packing tips. Some are helpful, some are…..not helpful.

Helpful: Pack everything in clear plastic bags (within your suitcase), divided into items e.g. underwear, t-shirts, shorts, etc. When you unpack your bag you just take out a series of bags and you can immediately see what you want. No rummaging!

Not helpful: Pack only what you know you will use. Seriously? This was on a packing tip website. How is this a tip?

Helpful: Set out everything that you think you’ll need to pack. Then put two thirds of it away. Even then, you may still find yourself with too much clothing while traveling. Force yourself to be ruthless! This will be hard for me.

Not helpful: Bring soap and you can get by with two shirts. Wear one while the other dries. You’ll buy shirts on the road, too. Or give them away or trade them before you come home. Um, yeah, this is NOT happening.

Helpful: If you have any liquids in your checked luggage, double wrap them in Ziploc bags. Airline temperature and pressure especially in the baggage hold are lower than ground conditions and liquids can leak and/or freeze.

Not helpful: Nothing that can be used as a weapon can be brought on board in your carry-on luggage or on yourself. Really??? I had no idea.

Let’s just hope my suitcase looks like this:
And not this:

No comments:

Post a Comment